Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Shots Fired!

Did the title catch your interest? Well, it really happened. About 1:33 a.m. this morning I heard 5 LOUD gun shots. It sounded like they were in our back yard. They were SO loud I immediately woke up and so did Dave. I can still hear them in my head -- BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM.

I attempted to fall back asleep after Dave and I discussed what it could be. (I was convinced they were gun shots, he wasn't as sure). That day (Labor Day) I had worked for hours cleaning our downstairs windows -- in and out, screens and all -- so they were very clean. I remember at one point thinking, "Maybe a bird flew into my clean windows" ! (you are supposed to laugh). But, then I dismissed it, because 1) It was 1:30 a.m. and dark and 2) Like 5 birds would do that one after another.

Then, JUST as I was about to fall asleep again, our doorbell rang. I woke back up and said to Dave, "Was that the doorbell?" It was 2:00 a.m. Dave told me to get up and come down with him. We went down and sure enough, there was a police officer at our door. He apologized for disturbing us in the middle of the night. He said, "There was a gentleman who discharged a weapon repeatedly a little while ago. I'm checking to make sure that everyone in your house is okay. Is anyone shot or wounded? Was your house hit?"

We told him we'd heard the shots, but we were all okay. We went out back to check out if the house had been hit, but couldn't see any bullet holes. I checked on the kids -- they were sleeping soundly except for our light sleeper Eden who was wondering what was going on. The officer told him to contact the police if we found any bullet holes or damage to our house.

I went out again today to look, but can't find any. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for! It took me at least two hours to fall back asleep after this encounter. We really live in a very safe neighborhood. Our house does back up to a 'brownbelt' (utility area) so they figured that someone was back there firing a weapon. We don't have any other information for now. Crazy night!

To end on a lighter note, this is what Josh said the other day out of the blue:

"Dad, if you are still alive when I go on my mission, can I drive to the airport so you can see how good of a driver I am?"


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice title. It totally grabbed my attention! That must have been scary. I would have probably just grabbed my 270 in reflexive action! lol. I am so glad you are all OK.

Diana Waite said...

I still think they were trying to hit that woodpecker....glad you are okay! And Josh, good thinking buddy, ALWAYS good to be prepared! :)

Wendy said...

How scary! Glad to know the cops were there so quickly.

Ha! Love the woodpecker theory!

Kim said...

I'm glad you guys are ok. That would be pretty spooky.

Beckie said...

I love your posts... you have some GREAT stories. You could write a book with all your kids' hilarious tidbits.

Sarah Norton said...

Oh my goodness! What a scary night that must have been. At least you know that you were right about it being gunshots. Thanks for ending it on a good note so I'll be able to sleep tonight! Funny Josh!!

Unknown said...

Are you sure you live in a safe neighborhood? Just kidding, scary stuff. I hope he wasn't firing AT anyone. And Josh is a hoot!

Related Posts with Thumbnails